The Whitehorse Chamber, working with the business community, and with the financial support of the Government of Yukon's Department of Economic Development created a Buy Local Campaign that we call Look Inside – Your Business Builds Community.
Our goal is to create a healthy and competitive Whitehorse economy and a thriving private sector. Part of this initiative is the Yukoner Appreciation Day celebrated the first Friday of November each year. This event, which heralds a huge ‘thank you’ to Whitehorse and Yukon residents attracted over 56 businesses this year and well over 3,000 residents visiting participating businesses.
What are our Buy Local objectives?
- Increasing Yukon consumer and business awareness of the benefits of local purchases and the contribution of the business community to Whitehorse.
- Educating Whitehorse businesses – SME Training and Development on the value proposition of service and customer satisfaction, of inventory levels, and of giving back to the community and of purchasing from other local businesses.
- Increasing the priority of local spending in decision-making criteria of Yukon consumers and businesses.
- Strengthen co-promotional/partnerships/collaborative efforts between local businesses and organizations.
- Secure recognition within all levels of government procurement of benefits of spending within Whitehorse.
With the steady growth in retail spending habits it seems we are having an impact on Whitehorse Consumers; but this is not an area where we can let up – we have to keep hitting home with the messaging.
Look Inside Campaign
Many cities across Canada are encouraging people in their communities to shop local. The chamber’s Look Inside campaign was created to show Yukoners, business people and government purchasing agents the value of thinking locally and making purchases inside Whitehorse and Yukon.
There’s value in shopping local, and it goes beyond the immediate gratification of finding the right product and the great feeling you get from service beyond expectations. Shopping is, above all, a social experience. From frequenting your neighbour’s business to seasonal shopping events with visitors, to the relationships developed with the staff while shopping.
Shopping locally develops our economy, creates jobs, and supports many community events.
Look Inside Whitehorse is a Facebook page supported by the Whitehorse Chamber of Commerce and dedicated to supporting local business in our community. We post two business profiles each month by interviewing local entrepreneurs and businesses who are Whitehorse Chamber members and have requested to be featured. These profiles are created and written by a local contractor. We encourage all businesses to e-mail: Avery Brohman at: [email protected], or message the Look Inside Facebook page to be featured. Thanks, and we look forward to profiling your business!